The New BumGenius Elemental Compared to the BumGenius Freetime

Yesterday we highlighted the new bumGenius elemental nappy and compared it to the old elemental nappy {which used to be called bumGenius organic}. Today, we are looking at the new elemental compared to the Freetime nappy.

So, to start with both of these nappies are bumGenius - a name synonymous with quality, reliable cloth nappies,  and both are all in one. All in one cloth nappies are just that, they are simple to use and need nothing else. They are most like a disposable and therefore very 'dad' and nursery friendly. In the past all in ones were not favoured as they were just not seen as reliable and took an age to dry. BumGenius have smashed away these assertions though, manufacturing not one but two fantastic all in one cloth nappy options, that are reliable, and quick drying!

Both the Freetime and the new Elemental are, like all of the bumGenius nappy ranges, onesize doing from 8-35lbs+. The new elemental has an extra give in its rise compared to its old elemental, which was often cited as a short rised nappy. This will suit parents of tall toddlers. You can see below the freetime {in clementine, the new elemental in mirror}, that the new elemental has a very slightly longer rise than the freetime, but not much in it.


Looking at the inside of these two fantastic cloth nappies, is where we can see the real differences. The obvious one is material. The Freetime has a stay dry layer on top of microfibre, whislt the elemental has six layers of organic cotton. Both have their uses and some people prefer stay dry, some organic. I think the organic will have the edge on absorbency, but it will be great to get some user feedback on this. 

A small aside, the Freetime can be used after just one wash, whilst the organic needs 10 washes to strip out natural oils and come to full absorbency.

The Freetime has two flaps sewn in at either end, that can be adjusted in a multiple of ways. The new elemental, like the old one, has one continuous flap sewn in at both ends. I think a number of people might have been suprised by this and expected the new elemental to look more like the freetime, however with organic cotton that pattern would just not work. I can see it scrunching up and needing to be ironed to go flat and in place! But maybe I am wrong and maybe bumGenius have another trick up their sleeves... who knows!

The Freetimes flaps can be pulled out, which allows for quick drying. Underneath there is an additional layer of stay dry microfibre. This underneath layer was in the old elemental but is missing from the new elemental, and this is why the new one dries so much more quickly. 

 
In terms of trimness, both the freetime and the old elemental had a reputable for being nice and slim and snug fitting. These side profile shot shows just how slim this new elemental design is, it is amazing!  The top one is on toddler setting, and the bottom photo on small setting, where you can really see the difference!



The Freetime nappies comes in a choice of hook & loop or snaps, whilst the elemental just comes in snaps. The reason for this is the natural oils in organic nappies can cause significant issues with hook & loop. Never wash new hemp or organic nappies or boosters with hook & loop nappies, until they have been washed at least 10 times.

Overall these are both two great nappies and I think anybody would be happy with either one of them. If you prefer stay dry nappies, go for the Freetime. If you prefer super super slim or natural fibres, go for the Elemental. Or go for both if you just love cloth nappies!!

To win an Elemental, just tell us below which nappy you prefer, Freetime or Elemental, and why? 

The winner pulled at random is Jennifer Rafferty - well done Jennifer. To claim your prize email care @ babame.com

Comments

Sarah D said…
Elemental, you can't beat having natural fabrics against your baby's bum
Victoria Wynn said…
I've only tried a freetime and I find that unfortunately they come up quite a bit smaller compared to my v4s. So I would say I like Elemental the best as a higher rise nappy is what my daughter is in need of.
Amber Logan-Rayne said…
I prefer the elemental, I find the freetimes double flaps move around a lot with my very active 16 month old. I'm also liking that the new elemental has a higher rise to it.
Lucy Daly said…
Elemental. My daughter is coming up to 2 years old and I think being able to feel wetness will help with potty training in the future.
Maja Laskowska said…
Elemental.
Freetime took a bit too long to dry :)
Unknown said…
I prefer elemental....love the fact it's organic cotton, better for my son and easier to use then having to add extra inserts =)
Lynda Smith said…
The new elemental looks fab and better than the freetime for my toddler
clare booth said…
they both have their uses but I think at the moment I would prefer the Elemental for absorbancy and slimness.
Anonymous said…
We have a couple of Free times in snaps, V4s (mixture of snaps and applix) and a couple of the old style organics in snaps. We love them all. The Organics are great for absorbency and I like the slightly higher rise. The Freetimes dry quicker but are slightly smaller and we have had the occasional leak from poop explosions so think the Organics fit out Littleman a little better now at 16 months although this was the other way round 10 months ago. The slimness (if that is a word) and quicker drying time looks interesting on the new Elemental. x

Cadence W
Nat G said…
For me it would have to be the Freetime. My daughter seems to be incredibly sensitive to any dampness next to her skin and the stay dry layer sounds great!
Callipygian said…
Freetime - Drying times and flexibility
Danielle fernandes said…
I love the freetimes, but would love to try an elemental as I like the idea of natural fabrics instead of synthetic!
Siobhan said…
I theory behind the elemental works in line with the flip system..and the organic cotton so would love to try them out! The freetimes I always class as the daddy friendly nappy! ! I'm sure the elemental tick those boxes too
Angie C said…
Definitely elemental. They are so soft and absorbent :-)
Unknown said…
freetime- quicker to dry
Fiona said…
Well I have yet to try my nappies on my baby as I'm still waiting! However I think freetime will probably be my favourite, but I can see myself looking for an elemental for night time, boosted up with a few more layers :)
Cliffordlaura@hotmail.com said…
Elemental, for quicker drying time :)
collette griffin said…
I've not had the chance to use either yet as I am due in 8 weeks. Love the idea of the Freetime though, heard lots about them and if they come up a bit small, thats all good for me with only having 5lb babies!
wibblywoo said…
I've only used redefine and flips both stay dry and organic inserts. The idea of organic inserts combined with the simplicity of aio sounds fab, also think elemental has the advantage of being slightly higher rise , this is where freetimes leak on my very active 19 month old girl .
wibblywoo said…
Oops freetime not redefine!
hannah7 said…
We use freetime but I think the elementals are better. I have to boost freetimes so makes them even more bulky but love the flip organic prefolds as they are so absorbent. I think the elemnetal would be my perfect nappy as its super absorbent, slim and I dont have to put it together like the flip.
We are just embarking on our cloth journey, and so we haven't tried either yet, but I definitely prefer the look of the elemental. It looks so much trimmer and should fit easily under a vest like a disposable, except it'll be much kinder on baby's bottom!
Naomi82 said…
I haven't tried either of these nappies yet but I am loving the idea and look of the elemental, I would love to win one to try on my new little man due in April :)
Sophia said…
Probably the Freetime at this point - but only because the Organics take soooo long to dry. The new Elemental *might* change this though, depending on whether or not they dry quicker now.
jayc1981 said…
We love bum genius, but we haven't tried the Elemental yet. Our little Henry has just turned 10 months now and we'd love to give the new model of nappy a try for comparison.
Sarah Parkin said…
I haven't had chance to try reusable nappies yet but both Elemental & Freetime sound great. If I have to choose I think I would prefer the Elemental as I think slimmer nappies always look better on babies.

Popular Posts